News From Yemen

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

In Anticipation of the "Day of Anger"

Tomorrow is slated as Yemen’s “Day of Anger,” borrowing a recent line from Egypt, as anti-government demonstrations are planned for Thursday in Midan Tahrir (yup, we’ve got one of those too. Boy I bet the media would love that if things became real news-worthy here). As Egypt has taught us, anything can happen. I was one of those people who thought the protests in Egypt wouldn’t amount to much, and felt a sense of awe wash over me, watching live as Jan. 25th’s protests in Egypt turned into something more as troop transport trucks were set on fire and one was nearly toppled into the Nile.

I do not expect the same for tomorrow. Let me first say that I am not an expert on Yemen, nor claim to be. I only base what I’m writing here on the very unscientific and unrepresentative conversations I’ve had with the small number of people I know here. That being said, I think what sets Yemen apart is that the opposition will accept genuine reform. They are not stuck on the idea of President Abdullah Ali Saleh’s immediate resignation, as the people of Egypt are with Mubarak. It seems that the opposition will be satisfied with significant democratic reforms.

Secondly, I don’t think the situation will reach the critical mass it did in Egypt. While media outlets reported one demonstration last week that totaled upwards of 10,000 participants, I personally have seen and heard nothing. I only learned about the protests when concerned relatives sent me articles. Yemenis I’ve talked to estimated the numbers were much lower.

The seeing and hearing things part changed today, however. In anticipation of tomorrow’s protests against the Saleh regime, pro-government demonstrators have been setting up camp in Midan Tahrir all day. I walked through the square on my way to lunch and passed a camera crew set up in front of the parliament building. When I reached the square, nearly its whole surface area was covered in metal skeletons as people worked through the early stages of erecting large tents. I had at first assumed these were preparations for tomorrow’s protest but later found out that they were for the pro-government pre-party. Rumors went around that pro-government people were being bused in from outlying areas (this was later confirmed by the nytimes).

On my way back from dinner today I had to walk through the square again. There were crowds gathered but they didn’t seem huge. Slogans and songs were played on loudspeakers, and I can hear them wafting in through my window as I type this. Saleh announced today that he will not seek reelection (he promised this once before and reneged), that his sons won’t run, and that he will postpone the parliamentary elections that were set for April according to the request of a group of opposition parties. This after last week cutting the income tax rate and raising army salaries. In my view, it’s a smart move making these concessions before any sort of movement starts. Afterward would have been too late.

Hopefully tomorrow brings a peaceful protest and everyone goes home satisfied at noon.

Tents are set up for today's pro-government demonstrations

No comments:

Post a Comment