News From Yemen

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Small Joys

One of the little joys I've come to appreciate is Google Books. I've already finished both of the English-language books I brought here with me and a good bookstore is hard to find. I should have listened to my mom when she offered to buy me Kindle or a Nook. I saw little value in them when living in the States, being a very tactile person and oddly old-fashioned about certain things. But now I clearly see the benefit of downloading any book you want anywhere you can find an internet connection.

Although I should really be focusing on practicing my Arabic, sometimes you crave good old fashioned English entertainment. Thankfully, Google Books has complete versions of most older books available for free. Back when I had HBO in my college apartment I watched Apocalypse: Now one night, no doubt instead of working on my thesis. That same day my roommate was talking about Heart of Darkness by Josef Conrad and I noted the similarities between the movie and the book. I know the relationship between the two is well known but I knew nothing about either work at the time and it was exciting to make the connection on my own. Since then I've wanted to read Heart of Darkness. Now that I have the time to read, Google has come to my rescue and I can get the book for free online.

Google Books, one of the small things you appreciate when living abroad.

2 comments:

  1. I have no idea what this post said. All I saw was, "I should have listened to my mom." Christmas has come early for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY, Mom! Right again; love it!

    I didn't know about Google books. Free sure works for me. Thanks for that tip from halfway across the planet.

    ReplyDelete